View Single Post
Old 12th October 2021, 01:55 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victrix View Post
Hi Jim, I first learned about this Bosnian alphabet in this forum, see post #51: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...t=14049&page=2. I understand it was used primarily in the territory of Bosnia and parts of Dalmatia (the coastal cities did a lot of trade with the Bosnian hinterland). There are other scripts which were used by the various ethnic groups on the Balkans and I’m sure there are more in the rest of Eastern Europe. Then there is of course also the Greek alphabet which was very influential in the region.
Great comparisons! It seems there was a lot of comingling in these developed alphabets for 'secret' or 'occult' use, and one can find remarkable similarities in the oddest or most remote circumstances.
It does seem that Greek characters, Hebrew and others as well as various symbols from astrology and alchemy ended up included in degree.

\The trade in the Dalmatian ports surely provided a viable conduit for these alphabets to enter the European sphere. It seems that the exotic character of many of these made them well suited for the secret alphabets intended for these mysterious inscriptions.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote