View Single Post
Old 28th February 2013, 01:07 AM   #49
Moshah

Hi Kai,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Your's looks very man-made to me - could it be leftovers of indentations from a vise or other holding implement?
Yes I am thinking of the same, it should be a man-made. It looks like how they wrap the besi altogether to form the bolster. But if we are talking about holding instruments involved, I think we would see more of the same markings on many other badik as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
This blade looks like the common sandwich construction to me: the hairy structure is the steel core exposed along the cutting edge while the smoother surface is from the outer layers. I'm not convinced the current staining does justice to the materials - I guess careful repolishing and warangan may result in showing the laminations much clearer; this doesn't look like besi malela to me - probably low contrast though.
Is it? I thought the steel core and the outer layers would form the same structure...Oh and I meant "besi melela" here was the type of besi that was used in the production of the keris melela of Terengganu - which I think would be a different version of besi malela of the Javanese kerisology context.

Thanks for the input, Kai.
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote