View Single Post
Old 14th February 2013, 05:35 PM   #39
Moshah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHenkel
Moshah, what you have is a badik most likely from Terengganu or perhaps Pahang. The badik Kelantan has a slightly different form blade and scabbard as does Pattani, which is different again. However, unlike badik from Sumatra and Riau, Northeast Peninsular badik do have a bolster or "mar" in local terminology and thus resemble the Sumatran sewar.
Thanks for the clarification, Dave.

Anyway I am still puzzled, how to ID this blade as a badik, not a sewar? Certainly I am not very much exposed to Badik Terengganu and Pahang, so pardon me, I guess it is kinda basic traits that I am missing here.

Badik Pahang was even a greater mystery to me. But it is good that you've brought this out, since I can learn a lot from you, as you've been to and fro in the Kelantanese keris scene even before their kerises was well received and well known like today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHenkel
I have not seen material like that used for your hilt but looks like s/t marine...possibly fossilized. I will ask around next time I'm up in Kelantan.
Yup, to my knowledge it was a white akar bahar. Doesn't look antique to me, but definitely not a molar though. I'll post some close up pix later tomorrow.
Moshah is offline   Reply With Quote