View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2014, 03:14 PM   #118
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
Good day Ibrahiim,!

Are the curved battle Omani swords used for dancing as well?

Spiral

Salaams spiral.. I am always very careful to distinguish what is meant by battle sword... The Curved European bladed Omani Kattara is both a badge of Office.. Slave Merchant Sword and Sea Captains sword for punishment and protection...and given the odd skirmish no doubt highly effective...I hesitate in using the term Battle Sword... Massed groups of men charging at each other etc etc It was never for that; The Omani Battle Sword or "Sayf Yamaani" is the true owner of that tittle. Used together with the Terrs Shield.

Your question .. The answer is yes I have pictures of this being done ... In the absence of a proper dancing sword a number of items may be used ~ camel stick, rifle, or other swords...In similar fashion in the mimic fight in the Funoon where there is no shield (Terrs...remember that the Terrs was awarded to be used with the new dancing sword at the start of the current dynasty in about 1744 but was the original "The Omani Battle Sword" partner) opponents may use a sandal in the left hand instead... However on swords in the mimic fight~ not a Kattara curved weapon ...always the flexible straight dancing sayf.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd January 2014 at 05:32 PM.