View Single Post
Old 11th September 2013, 08:06 PM   #104
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
What is significant about the sketch is ...straight dancing swords.. pushing the envelope for known swords of such description as far as 1840 and toward the benchmark date of 1744. It also illustrates the sword as unchanged.

These are Omani guard soldiers and carry the main weapon the abu futtila. So why do they have straight swords in their possession. The casual eye of the onlooker/artist would probably consider these as weapons but they are not. Like any soldier / officer today in the West there are those that are issued or own their own swords but carried only for the traditional parade ... for marching past the ruler / dignitary/ commander and for parade ground duties. When I say soldier I mean mounted cavalry ...although for infantry in the west the officers and certain high ranking senior NCO's also carry swords on parade... for the exact same reasons. Thus it was in 1840 and before, that Omani guards carried these swords since they would often be required to draw them in praise for the ruler and for pageantry duty.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I have no doubt swords were used in parade, danced and for salute etc in 1840.

I do however doubt the picture can quantify that these are flimsy dance swords alone, especially in the era of 1840 and that there are no other swords present in the image.

The practical flip side to your suggestion, after all 1840 was an era or practicality not excess, is that these are the fighting swords and bucklers used by these guard soldiers after the use of a rifle has past...after all there are no other swords pictured and these swords are in the hands and on the belts of these warrior guards.
What were they to do if they are guards and they can not defend because they have bending dance swords as a secondary defence after the rifle was shot and combat became close quarters... Surely not stop a threat with words...guards are meant to be at the ready at all times so it makes more sense that those pictured were their weapons as a guard would not be without an edged weapon in 1840.

Fighting swords that can equally be used to dance and pay tribute but by primary needs alone and the presence of no other swords, it makes more sense as guards have sword that work not dance with bends....

Gavin