View Single Post
Old 9th September 2013, 11:46 AM   #91
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
An expanation of item two in Ricks presentation of rare swords would be interesting;

http://www.vikingsword.com/library/r...ldomwootz1.pdf

Gavin

Salaams SwordsAntiqueWeapons ~ Since you are asking me to explain I shall indeed respond to your request.

First this is not technically an Omani Kattara since it is straight thus it would be (if it were real) be an Omani Sayf (or Saif).

Secondly as it clearly states there is a certain amount of uncertainty by the author ..well placed in my opinion about this weapon...and since it appears to be a complete one off...no others appear to exist...what are we actually viewing here?

This is a non flexible (I assume) thick, pointed, wootz blade on an Omani long hilt. It is configured to look like an Omani 1744 design dancing sword. Does this ring a bell with you?

I have seen blades like this being lined up for workshop conversion in Muttrah... somewhere I have a photo of one similar...and I will dig it up. and another with the running wolf on it... same sort of blade.

Apply the well tested rule... Does it look right Wootz, Pointed, and thick down the spine without fullers ? and the main rule about dancing swords...does it bend ?...So we know its not an Omani Dancing Sword so what is it?

I suspect this is an imported blade (OF EXCELLENT PRIOR FIGHTING PROWESS) rehilted in Muscat after 1970.

So what do you think it is ?

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.