Thread: Zulu Axe
View Single Post
Old 18th August 2006, 06:34 AM   #4
The Double D

There are some subtle difference between the pictured Swazi Axe and the one I now call a Zulu axe. The difference may be only because they were made by two different persons or they may be cultural. I don't know.

Bryant in The Zulu People does say the Zulu's made axes or iZembe. Were these axes the type we see here or something else all together, he doesn't say. Krige in The Social System of the Zulus refers to a battle axe or iZenze. She says there is no record of them used in battle since Shaka's days, and she references Samuelson Long, Long Ago. I don't have Samuelson.

Bryant further clouds the issue by saying the "battle-axe of the the Sutus, Swazis and other neighbouring Bantu, though known to the Zulus by importation (and called imBemba) was never one of their war weapons"

I agree that there was a good deal of trade and taking of spoils going on in the area. The Tsongas, Zulus, Swazis and other Bantu were all neighbors. It seems natural they would have each others weapons.

And of course the display by Chief Buthelezi of the Axe in a public setting might be just a fantasy symbol.

I do note however that the axe I bid on and won seem to have the same charactoristics in blade shape and haft as the Chiefs.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote