View Single Post
Old 21st September 2015, 04:38 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I have always very much admired those collectors and scholars who focus on a singular weapon form or often that field alone. It is these individuals who inherently become authorities on these topics through constant exposure to varying examples and study channeled toward that field.

Jens, is one of these remarkable individuals, who has tenaciously pursued the study of the katar, along with the tulwar, and though he will humbly resist such acclaim, I have always considered him a foremost authority on these arms.

It is fascinating to see this discussion opened on katars, as quite frankly, they have stood among daggers as a unique, unusual and distinct form almost complacently by collectors. It seems that though remarkably unusual in being one of the very few, if not virtually only, venerated instances of a dagger using a transverse grip....there has been no thorough study of their development or history.

The only discussion or noteworthy observations seem typically toward the sword associated with the katar by its transverse grips, the pata, and suggestions on its relation to the dagger form.

It seems of course that the katar developed in Southern India, and it has seemed to me that the weapon began as a slashing weapon. The thrust if I recall correctly, was much disfavored by the Mahratta's and thus may be considered a widely held distinction in combat with daggers and swords.
With this being the case, the transverse grip would have served well in holding the weapon securely in slashing moves.

This very early katar shown by Jens in this fascinating and remarkably revealing illustration, shows a bladed weapon which essentially is a blade with a handle which seems sufficient for slashing, but certainly not thrusting. The incredibly early date suggested by the context in which this is found is compelling and plausibly tempting to presume this to be a prototype for the long enduring dynasty of Indian transverse grip edged weapons..the katar and the pata.

Elgood ("Hindu Arms and Ritual", p.97, 8.58) shows a gauntlet type pata he classifies the earliest known example and from c.1570. On page 149 he notes the evolution of the gauntlet type sword as having evolved from the katars with this defensive feature. These are primarily from Tanjore regions but of course, in India, weapon forms like most of the diversity of India itself, diffused widely.

With these understandings, the questions I have always asked are:

Did the katar as a slashing weapon, and its diffusion to the northern regions perhaps become a thrusting weapon? In discussions over the years, the clearly reinforced armour piercing blades suggest they may have been intended to pierce mail.

Did the katar evolve into 'pata' to extend its reach due to use by mounted warriors? In more modern times, the Mahratta use these in mock combat performances and ceremonies as paired slashing weapons with the effect almost windmill like. Perhaps these were used as slashing weapons by infantry as well?

The remarkably early and quite simple example shown in the book on Orissan antiquities is indeed compelling, but the inevitable question is of course, can this iconographic evidence be relied upon in the estimated date of the context ? Can we be sure of the date/period suggested for these friezes? or is it possible they are work entered later? In India I believe that temples and their associated works are essentially a constantly vibrant and dynamic feature, so it seems possible this could be a later rendering or addition.

Outstanding and long overdue broader attention to one of the most intriguing edged weapons!!!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote