Thread: machete
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2023, 06:57 PM   #20
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Very well stated response I.P. and this question of what is or is not ethnographic has been at hand throughout the 25 years I have been here. Naturally, just as there are differences in the notions of collectors and their own interpretation of the character of weapons collected in their select fields.

I am unclear on whether this blade is indeed factory made or not, but I agree it probably is, Alan's sage words are profoundly well placed.
What I would note is that many forms of military weapons were copied from native forms, for a prime example the Gurkha kukri, and numbers of others.
The phenomenon is very reciprocal, military blades or weapons used in native context, and native forms produced in military context.

The term ethnographic is not a 'rubber stamp' or 'checked box' category, but quite subjective typically as we are not dealing with regulations or pattern forms from scheduled catalogs.

The scabbard in the example posted is in my opinion very much privately made, and in the traditional form of leather scabbards familiar from Mexican swords and edged weapons from the 1830s onward. The heavy throat element added on is one feature very recognizable. This is one of the things that takes a weapon of this kind into 'ethnographic' context, much as in the way we often recognize North African swords that are Manding or Mandara, the takouba scabbards of Tuareg and of course those of kaskara to name a few. The leather work offers good insight into the most recent 'ethnographic' context the sword (and blade) were in.

Attached image of the similar type scabbard used in Mexican context as noted (Brinckerhoff & Chamberlain, 1972, op.cit.)
A Caribbean saber/machete (formerly termed 'Berber' saber) which is now deemed from Caribbean, apparently Cuba, where conscripts were sent to Moroccan Rif in 1920s insurgency. These machetes were clearly not of much use in 'less than tropical' situation so many were simply left there.

These are mostly found with British M1796 light cavalry saber blades (military)
and were reprofiled with these unusual points. These are found in this developed 'form' in the Caribbean, Central America and Gulf Coast Mexico and in slight variation but mostly of this 'form'.

The espada ancha (machete) was used for brushing trails, and as such did not require formal swordsmanship training. However, the military swords (typically the bilbo broadswords) of full length, were used in accord with military sword drill exercises. I believe that the treatise of the Spanish fencing master Carranza did find its way into swordsmanship in New Spain with the military in degree and particularly with the caballeros.
Carranza was governor for a time in Honduras.

* plz note I do not imply the Caribbean machete scabbard is in any way connected to the Mexican one. In fact the vertical 'handle' to hold while withdrawing blade has some resemblance to examples of Ethiopian origin ( "African Arms & Armor" Spring) no connection stated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 13th January 2023 at 05:44 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote