Thread: machete
View Single Post
Old 12th January 2023, 01:29 AM   #15
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Martin's machete has a scabbard which is quite consistent with those from Mexico from 1830s into 20th century. These are seen on weapons from many sabers to machetes, and the style is well known throughout Latin America.

As noted in "Spanish Military Weapons in Colonial America 1700-1821" (Brinckerhoff & Chamberlain, 1972), the machete was well known in these regions and was popularly used. This was the case well into the 20th century. As noted previously, the so called espada ancha was used primarily as a 'tool' for brushing trails, but as a weapon as required.
These 'machetes' as locally known evolved into the more familiar form seen in Martins machete later in the century using commercially produced blades but keeping traditional hilt and scabbard forms.

As far as I have known, the 'espada ancha' (machete) has always been classified as an ethnographic weapon, used by the Spanish Mexican culture, and well into Latin America with the same cultural background.

With the kaskara for one example, as noted, the blades on these swords in the 19th century were largely imported, commercially made trade blades typically from Solingen. These, often with these trade blades have become recognized as virtually a national weapon of the Sudanese culture.
Blades began being produced locally, but the heirloom trade blades remained prized by the native people.
As far as I have known, the kaskara unconditionally, is recognized as an ethnographic weapon regardless of the blade source.

It would be virtually impossible to recount all the instances of foreign, colonial, European blades as key components of traditional ethnographic arms that are well recognized as artifacts or items of these cultures.

Clearly the note on military machetes of 20th century used in certain regions as implements would be straining the definition ethnographic, however with Martin's example of traditional form from early types, it is clearly ethnographic. I would suggest even items of military origin if embellished with native ethnic decoration may well be absorbed into the cultural artifacts of its region .

One favorite quote said to me when I once asked a Sikh how to identify a Sikh weapon. He replied, '...if it was used by a Sikh...then it is Sikh!".
Attached Images

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 12th January 2023 at 01:39 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote