View Single Post
Old 27th August 2011, 03:10 AM   #8
A. G. Maisey

We're all pretty accustomed to the more usual forms of traditional keris hilts, however more than a few of the forms that we might think of as "new", or "recent" are in fact very rare forms of hilts that come from the time before the current era with its blossoming of new designs.

The example shown by David is one of these. This hilt that David has shown us is recently carved, however, I saw a number of hilts similar to this one --- maybe even the same -- in Malang with a very well known collector there, in the mid-1970's, well before the keris revival. These were old hilts.

I also have a photocopy of a privately produced book authored by a gentleman whom I knew as "Mister John" , here in Solo. He has passed away now, but he produced a number of books wherein he recorded very rare hilt and blade types that he had encountered. Recorded in this book are several hilts of this comical wayang style.

The hilt with the beast head pommel that Barry has shown is a modern interpretation of a traditional form.

Pakubuwana X of Surakarta had a penchant for the production, and reproduction of unusual hilt styles, and if one had not seen the originals of these and encountered only a recently carved version, one could easily think it was new innovation.

In respect of cost, good material for hilts is very difficult to obtain, and the best materials are expensive. The number of craftsmen who can produce first class work is extremely limited. I know of only two tukang jejeran who can produce first quality hilts in the Surakarta style --- and one of those prefers to go fishing rather than to carve hilts.

In Madura there is really only one man who can do first quality work, and he only works on hilts when he is not occupied in farming tobacco.His work is not cheap and if you order something from him you might wait 12 months or more before you see it.

In fact, best quality anything in keris prabot and wilah is the product of only a very, very few men. There was particular type of Solo mendak that I used to like to use. It was made by only one family. The last member of that family died about 2 years ago. We probably won't see any more of those mendak.

We do not ever see the best quality work offered on ebay, nor anywhere else. If you want the best you need to know somebody and then get on the end of queue.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote