View Single Post
Old 30th January 2016, 12:50 PM   #26
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Since the cross is generally accepted as a Christian symbol, is it likely to be accepted as a decoration in the Muslim world?
Salaams Khanjar 1, In the case of crosses they are common since the cross is a symbol of light often seen in rugs and textiles particularly on Yurt door carpets and up the silk road work.

Southern Cross. I perhaps need to just correct your statement slightly...From the N. Hemisphere, For readers in the USA you have to be in Hawaii, or south Florida or south Texas – about 26 degrees N. latitude or further south – to see the Southern Cross.

In Africa that appears to put Ethiopia in range at 8 degrees N. Also the Tuaregs; Among Tuaregs, the four most visible stars of Crux are considered iggaren, i.e. four Maerua crassifolia trees. I refer to star formations also often seen on Berber\North African jewellery work...and my original quest for the reason for the shape of the brass rivet covers/rectangles...(if that is understood?) on the Terrs face.

The shapes seem to be Ethiopian in design...? Interestingly they could also be construed as a geometric figure 5 configuration as in the Talismanic format..but I leave that pencilled in the margin.

Showing;

1. The dominant cross on Katchli or Katchlu door rugs from the Yurt tent...and there are vast numbers of rugs all up the silk road with smaller crosses indicating candle light/ welcoming signs.

2. The Southern Cross.

3. The rectanguilar brass shape on the Terrs.. Sold item from Ashok Arts.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 30th January 2016 at 02:11 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote