View Single Post
Old 19th January 2013, 09:21 PM   #7
laEspadaAncha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Very pretty. That must be a tiny chip to the top? Do you know what type of stone it is? Looks like Obsidian? Is that found in New Mexico? Is there any research on the stone trade pre- Columbus. It would have taken some years before steel would would have been readily available to many people off the beaten track in the far SW? Nice pot, is it old? I know I drift showing this but interesting hope it does not disturb things. 10 inch plate you can google Maria Popovi.

Hello Tim,

I actually thought of you the other day while I was photogrpahing a few Native American clubs I plan on posting here sooner or later...

To answer your question regarding obsidian sources, there were (are?) multiple sources of obsidian to be found in Utah, which as I understand it were the primary sources of obsidian used by the Anasazi.

Regarding your plate/bowl, San Ildefenso blackware is considered to be of signifiant value, especially if it is made and signed by a known/published artist, and especially if that artist was active in the first half of the 20th century, and especially if that artist is no longer with us. Your plate fires on pretty much all cylinders. I'm envious...
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote