Thread: Valuable sticks
View Single Post
Old 20th April 2006, 12:03 AM   #18
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
With the continual advance of modern, industrial society encroaching onto the lands and lives of tribal members, (Africa, Borneo, Tibet etc.) their established cultural lives are being seriously eroded. New generations are adapting or are forced to adapt to modern ethics and lifestyle, much of the wisdom and knowledge of their ancestors will surely be lost as the 'old ways' are forgotten. This I feel is a sad state of affairs .
Unfortunately this seems inevitable in today's world ; societies evolve or die .

Quote:
Perhaps you could argue that museums and collectors would become the 'custodians' of their cultural history. And by doing so, would educate others and preserve their heritage. But, generally the driving force behind many museums and dare I say, some collectors is an economic one. Obtaining 'treasures' legally or otherwise, for the purpose of increasing the number of the paying guests (museum), for prestige (museum/collector) or to sell on for profit (collector).
I will not indict the Dealer/Collector as he advances his collection by selling and acquiring ; IMO most "Dealers" do not get rich . There are many more efficient ways to accumulate wealth than selling antique arms .
I also believe the Collector can be instrumental in keeping interest in these artifacts alive providing he is willing to share and he maintains his collection unlike many museums that are constrained by a budget .

Quote:
I also agree that many poorer (economically) countries seem to have corrupt regimes, whom, would surely sell, any returned 'national treasures' for personal gain. Depriving their own people of their heritage and the country's property.
This is why I would presently not consider returning my collection to the countries that they originated from .

Quote:
I hope that if decisions are made about the return of artefacts to their rightful heirs, they are based on moral judgement, and are individually assessed on their merits. It is important that these 'treasures', whether they are 'sticks' or a Chinese jade death mask, are preserved, and available for research or viewing.
If man forgets where he came from... how will he know where he’s going.....
Very true .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote