Thread: Valuable sticks
View Single Post
Old 19th April 2006, 11:04 PM   #16
katana

With the continual advance of modern, industrial society encroaching onto the lands and lives of tribal members, (Africa, Borneo, Tibet etc.) their established cultural lives are being seriously eroded. New generations are adapting or are forced to adapt to modern ethics and lifestyle, much of the wisdom and knowledge of their ancestors will surely be lost as the 'old ways' are forgotten. This I feel is a sad state of affairs .
Perhaps you could argue that museums and collectors would become the 'custodians' of their cultural history. And by doing so, would educate others and preserve their heritage. But, generally the driving force behind many museums and dare I say, some collectors is an economic one. Obtaining 'treasures' legally or otherwise, for the purpose of increasing the number of the paying guests (museum), for prestige (museum/collector) or to sell on for profit (collector).
Articles 'stolen' as war trophies is an obvious grey area, after all many countries' borders have changed due to conflict, yet it is rare for the vanquished to expect to regain land lost after a war. Whether this is morally wrong is down to the individual and the circumstances. But as Darwin points out, it is (unfortunately) 'survival of the fittest'.
I also agree that many poorer (economically) countries seem to have corrupt regimes, whom, would surely sell, any returned 'national treasures' for personal gain. Depriving their own people of their heritage and the country's property.
I hope that if decisions are made about the return of artefacts to their rightful heirs, they are based on moral judgement, and are individually assessed on their merits. It is important that these 'treasures', whether they are 'sticks' or a Chinese jade death mask, are preserved, and available for research or viewing.

If man forgets where he came from... how will he know where he’s going.....

Who would have thought that an article about the return of 'some sticks' would stir such debate.......
katana is offline   Reply With Quote