View Single Post
Old 5th May 2005, 09:51 AM   #18
tom hyle

Of course there's no such thing as incorrect spelling; I was trying to humour the normal-os and being lazy, I supose, as well. 5 Xs in a cross "ME FECIT" over "ME FECIT" 3 Xs overtop of each other (could be another cross of 5 with 2 obscured) followed by a symetric pattern of some crosses stars(?) and a marked-up circle then 5 Xs that make a big X SALINGEN over SALINGEN then another cross of 5 Xs(crosses). The other side seems the same, but is much less clear.
I recently saw a mark much like the running wolf referenced as a Caucasian(? I think; not German, anyway) mark; is the running wolf no longer thought to be the mark of the Ruhr valley smiths? Is this not an early mark? Mind you, I have close to zero idea of "Solingen" etc. as after-market fakery; it would be hotstruck with a counterfeit die at the time of manufacture, truly or fakely (although the precision , size, and locattion of the marks on mine make me think they may have been etched). Certainly many fake Solingen blades are now made for the antique market, especially WWII ones, and I've seen blades sold as new Solingen work that seemed like fakes to me, but also the fame of the Ruhr smiths is an old thing; why else were they brought from here to make that famous English steel-work? And to other places, as well; didn't a number emigrate into Slavic lands, carrying their particular methods with them? I'm given to understand that their fame was the basis of their welcome/invitation.
I remember seeing a machete recently marked "Sheffeeld" I don't think it was English.
The fame of Spainish swords in Great Brittain in general and Scottland in particular is still echoed among their descendants in N America; Spanish swords as the best and as the originator of both spring temper and of the rapier and (thus) of the modern European sword is a common and often adamant folk belief here.

Last edited by tom hyle; 5th May 2005 at 10:05 AM.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote