View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2005, 06:41 PM   #8
George Armstrong Custer

Gentlemen:
Firstly may I thank you all for your welcoming and interested response to an enquiry from a new member; it's much appreciated.

Andrew, many thanks for reposting my original message to this new forum location.

Tom, I have searched high and low on the net for an image of this weapon. There ought to be one available, as the sword was in the Smithsonian Institute collection. Apparently it is not now, and I cannot account for its disappearance from that august collection. However, in Lawrence A. Frost's book The Custer Album, there is a good b/w photograph of the unsheathed sword and its scabbard on p. 178. Jim McDougal's reference to the late Lawrence Frost's close examination of this blade in Son of the Morning Star is supported in its conclusions by the caption to this photo in Frost's own book, which declares it to be a German blade. Jim's quotes from the Son of the Morning Star book as to the sabre's relatively large dimensions and heft are reflected in the photo of it in Frost's book. [BTW, the late Dr Lawrence A. Frost was a podiatrist who happened to grow up in Custer's boyhood hometown of Monroe [note: although the Custers moved to Monroe, the future General was born at New Rumley, Ohio]. He became one of the most respected chroniclers of Custer's life and times, with several relevant publications to his name. Frost was also the longtime curator of the Custer room of the Monroe County, Michigan, museum. He lived across the street from members of the Custer family at one point, and before they left town prior to WWII their going away present to Frost was a pair of Custer's cavalry boots. Over the years Frost acquired many more Custer artefacts and manuscripts; after his death, many of these appeared in the Butterfield auction of 1996 referred to earlier.

Jeff, I have been meaning to place an order for the Thillmann volume with our local bookstore for some time now - it has had very good reviews. It correctly describes the Roby sabre from the Butterfield & Butterfield sale of April 4, 1995. I have a copy of the catalogue, as I bid (miserably unsuccessfully!) on the Custer sabre. It contains a good sized color photo of the unsheathed sabre and scabbard. The catalogue description is as follows:

Lot #6: General George A. Custer's Model 1860 Cavalry Saber. Having a 35 inch curved blade, ricasso marked U.S. 1864 A.G.M. The reverse C. Roby W. Chelmsford Mass. Length overall 43 1/4 inches. Condition: Guard and blade show minor wear, some flaking to leather grip, wire wrap loose. Metal scabbard with dark patina overall. See illustration.' Provenance: Acevedo Collection; Charles A. Custer Family Collection. Estimate $30,000/40,000.

It was later some little consolation to me to acquire a duplicate of Custer's Roby sabre, also dated 1864, inspector marked A.G.M. (for Alfred G. Manning), and in better condition than Custer's at auction in London, UK (although, of course, it will never have the aura of having once been wielded by the 'Boy General').

Although I couldn't find an image on the web of the captured confederate sabre from Custer's collection, here is an image of the presentation sword given to Custer at the end of the Civil War by officers of his staff. Specially commissioned and inscribed, it was manufactured by the prestigious company of Tiffany of New York.

I'd be interested to hear of any more information anyone may have relating to swords owned by Custer - and in particular any references to his M1860 Roby.

Ciao,
GAC
Attached Images

Last edited by George Armstrong Custer; 3rd May 2005 at 06:53 PM.
George Armstrong Custer is offline   Reply With Quote