Thread: Zulu Spear
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2006, 05:31 PM   #5
The Double D

Here is a very interesting write up of the Zulu Army and its weaponery. The Iklwe apparently didn't last all that long. It was a weapon of Shaka's era. By time Cetshwayo's armies took the field they were back to carrying throwing spears. Of course the Zulu's were starting to use firearms also. THE ZULU MILITARY ORGANIZATION AND THE CHALLENGE OF 1879

If your spear was made in the 50's by Zulu's to a pattern and quality used by Zulu's in the 50's and intended to be used as a spear as the Zulu's used a spear, would it be a replica? Even if it was made by Zulu's in the 50's in the same manner and quality as spears made in the 1800's would it be a replica?

My "1950's" spear has the aura and the feel of what I expected a qenuine South African spear would be. Here is a picture of my entire Spear Collection

I have been invited to go to Johannesburg in August to visit a fellow who is a well known local authority and collector of South African Arms. He said he would give me some pointers on Zulu weapons, so I may extend the time period between times I am deceived.

In talking with him he pointed out a South Afrcian spear he would help me look for. It is a Askari Spear carried by Native troops during WWII. Something about an official GI issue South African spear appeals to me. Spear, Throwing, Hand Operated M1A1, FSN 123 4567 8901, 1 each

Here is a picture of an Askari and spear. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askari Notice socket mount and no tang.

Yes sometime you just have to take the chance.

I've got the history down, now I just need to learn what the real thing looks like.
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote