Thread: Zulu Spear
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2006, 03:03 PM   #3
The Double D

Thank you for your response.

The friend who said this could be as old as 1870's pointed to the round bar used to make the point. It's size and extrusion marks on the shaft he said were indicators of the trade steel and rebar of the era. To me the point almost looks machine made...hammer forged. Maybe a trade point.

I would think that a spear of the era would look more the other spear I have

The shaft is roundish but not round. It is not ruler straight. You can see hammer marks in the blade. And look at the spine it's not uniformly straight. This blade has character.

I know what you mean about artificial aging. I have seen this already on several spears. With my main hobby of collecting Martini Henry rifles I have some knowledge of this process, or is "act" more approproiate.

I know where there is an iKlwa pattern point that is very obviously a ground find that has beeen re shafted and is being offered at original undamaged prices. The contrast between old and new is stark.

I can be deceived just like any one, I have been before and I am sure I will be again. That's why I come to a places like this and ask for help so I can put those dates of deception further and further apart.

Thanks for you help, I am learning!! What else can you tell me? I am listening!!
The Double D is offline   Reply With Quote