View Single Post
Old 24th December 2005, 01:03 AM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Very Interesting Dha For Comment and Origin ID

I know some of you guys will love to see this for analysis sake, the rest are probably saying, "Oh no, not another darn dha!"

Nonetheless, here we go with a recently purchased dha that has some very, very unique features.

The dha measures 33.5in. overall, with a blade of 24in. It is one of the heaviest dhas I have handled, at the same time it is very well balanced. The silver hilt has an old replaced end, and a restored pommel cap. The motifs done in the silver are unlike anything I have seen in dha decoration before, primarily unique floral patterns, much different from floral patterns seen on some. The forte of the blade once had an image in silver, but only the silver remains, and the image is virtually impossible to make out.

The blade's width is generally consistent throughout its length. After a polish by a fellow forumite, it shows lamination patterns that are similar to 'hairpin' welding on Bhutanese or Tibetan pieces.

The scabbard is mounted with matching silver fittings that are unusually heavy and thick. The wood has been refinished, but was once a much darker color, apparently lacquered.

I have to think that this one comes from the very northern-most reaches from which dhas are found. I think influences could be from Nagaland or possibly Bhutan.

I am eager to read any input or origin theories/knowledge on this one. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote