View Single Post
Old 9th October 2019, 03:26 AM   #30
kahnjar1

Well I forgot to post a pic of the replacement piece made by an engraver friend of mine. Better late than never I guess. A very close match and once the brass oxidizes it will fit with the original bits.
Stu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Stu.

Congratulations. Nice find. As mentioned, this one seems to have been made in a more "utilitarian" manner. Simply meaning less decoration than usually seen like the ones posted by Corrado. And as Philip mentioned, it has a typical patilla style miquelet lock. Perhaps the owner of this piece already had access to the lock and was also on a more restricted budget (?) Just speculating.
But the profile, decoration, trigger guard, etc. are all similar to others. It's hard to believe that this very paticular style of gun came from one little island. And as Philip mentions, a real mix of styles and cultures.

Philip and Corrado: Thanks very much for the explainations. I really was not that familiar with the guns history.

Stu: That missing brass piece on the right side of the stock should be easy to replace since you have an identical piece on the left side. Especially if you know an engraver in your area. It's so much easier to duplicate when you have an original physical piece to work from. Strange that it is missing with all those tiny brass nails that were holding it in place. Does not look like it was broke off. Just removed for some reason. Curious.

Anyway, it's a great looking piece and appears in good condition. And an interesting variation of what you normally encounter. I like it.

Rick
Attached Images

kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote