Thread: From where???
View Single Post
Old 4th March 2017, 05:41 PM   #10
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan
Hi Kubur,
Cenrtainly a strange one, but to me, a facinating and unique piece. As a proponent of fasion over function as origin of weapon shapes, I am not bothered by apparent lack of funionality, though this one stretches this concept to the limit.
What I find more interesting is the decoration. First, it clearly shows Persian Qajar influnce, like also the all-steel construction. As far as I know, the Persian Qajars ceased Armenia to the Russian Empire in 1828. So how old is this sword?
Second, the figure on the pommel is quite unusual and impressive, giving the whole piece a strong symbolic character. This, together with impractical shape, suggest that a ceremonial piece, but not of military, Christian or Islamic character. Any ideas on what the story is behind this misterious piece?
Hi Motan
Well i got the infos on an Armenian site, but the sword was sold by Oliver.
I don't believe that these kind of swords were used against shields as it was said, your oponent can move too! Used for fight maybe? The hilt seems to be in brass. The character looks Qajar but look at the characters on some Greek pistols they are almost the same. They are just simple representations of human beings. I think this decoration is Armenian. But the blade is decorated in a Turkish Ottoman style to me. Overall Black sea Armenian is perfect for me.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote