Thread: Afghan Shashkas
View Single Post
Old 19th July 2006, 04:44 PM   #26
ausjulius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Ausjulius, where have you been all these years?!!!!
You are a treasure of information!
Are these weapons historically accurate? Kazakh sabers appear to have Tibetan motives (pommels, for example). One Turkmen sword (apparently, a museum piece) looks very Chinese.
I looked at the Amazon.com for the Atlas of Central Asian arts, Bishkek, 2002 (apparently multivolume) and could not find it.
Can you get it for me? Just let me know the price of the books and shipment to the US and I shall send you a check or Paypal it right away.
Any way to get my hands on the really old swords/daggers?
You can send me a Private Message.
.. i guss i was in dagestan..:P
yes they are accurate , the kazakh folk general used swords like that of the mongols and altai and tuvan folks,
although there is 3 hornds of kazakhs, each alittle different, and kazakhstan is a multi ethnic nation, meaning that not only are there many different peopel living in kazakhstan now,, (russians , koreans, germans , baltics, tatars,, dagestani nationals , chechens,, jews,,, tajiks,, uzkeks,, russian cossaks,, ect ect ,)
but there is also a big variation in the national look of the poeple , some will looks more as europeans , some more as poepls form afghansitan or tajikistan , others may look like a mongol or siberian but be blond haired and blue eyed (aspecialy with the mongol kazakhs,, which many are blond,, aspecialy when theyer kids.)
so there is quite a variation in the folk,,
this sword would be form east kazakhstan , , in the west the swords are more russian/cuacascian , shashkas, shamshir and such,, and in the north part very much as swords of the tartas and uralic folks ,
there is a large percent of kazaks in what is not china and also about 300000 in mongolia,,
the sword looks in a style of this , this type of decoration was and is common on many kazakh items , as in the style of the mongols,, ill post you a pic of whats labled as a "sword sharpener" but it looks to me like a cercumsision ,, this holds to this type of decoration, it is from kazakhstan by the look
http://www.bathantiquesonline.com/an...ble-27139.html
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote