Thread: Oldest Auto
View Single Post
Old 26th June 2011, 02:21 AM   #13
Chris Evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Hi Jim,
Navajas have locking systems to keep them open (as from the XVII century ?), not automatic spring opening devices .
... this not meaning that a navaja expert, ike Chris Evans, may tell us something about the switch blade semanthics.
Hi Fernando,

Flattery will get you everywhere!

Seriously, I am not an expert on any kind of a knife, that is for the likes of Forton, Domenech, Levine and others with far broader knowledge base and resourses than mine - I prefer to think of myself as an informed enthusiast who has the good fortune of being able to access resources in Spanish on navajas and Creole knives - As for other typologies, I am woefully ignorant.

On navajas&clasp knives: These made their appearance in the early 18th century, following the Bourbon Ascension in Spain and the consequent weapons bans. Despite often made claims to the contrary, I have yet to see convincing evidence that lockable folding knives pre date the 18th century in Europe.

On spring actuated automatics: I have a book on Italian switchblades that claims that the earliest known specimen dates back to the early 19th century and the genre as we know it pertains to the 20th. My examination of 19th century folding knives, even the best made ones, suggests that the then extant cutlery industry would have been incapable of mass producing automatics; Hand made one offs yes, but not mass production.

Cheers
Chris
Chris Evans is offline   Reply With Quote