View Single Post
Old 28th January 2013, 09:52 AM   #25
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams I agree in part but note; Quote. "Jewish silversmiths used to have Muslim and Jewish customers, they also used to work for the royal Muslims, working specially with gold instead of the usual silver. These jewelers also worked doing decoration for the daggers worn by Muslims but not by the Jewish men. This decoration includes some parts of the dagger like amulets and other accessories used with the belt and the djambia'. Unquote.

What I find is that the information is thin on the ground and with the passage of time it will become thinner and eventually vanish. I wondered if there were any stamps on the Buckle etc and rather hoped for someone with an eye for Saudi and Yemeni work to take a broad look at the Jewish Yemeni craftsmanship. At the same time I hope to persuade fellow post originators to place a fair degree of detail and lightweight research around their submissions so as to encourage and promote the pictures which too often contain little or no background.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I cant be sure about stamps in the back. It has recent cloth covering at the back. Will try to check if I can move it abit.

I had in mind that it could be a special order by the Muslim owner. It is all possible really.

I have a picture of a thouma with an Iraqi niello work (precisely Iraqi work) it belongs to one of the shaikhs of Hashid and has a nice Saifani hilt. There is alot of variations of people making these..

Cant post the photo from my iphone so will do it from my pc when I am home.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote