View Single Post
Old 6th April 2011, 04:36 AM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Welcome Steve!
Its great to have you joining us, and thank you for bringing up this thread with this fascinating information. While this topic is of course macabre, it is indeed intriguing and has entered into discussions a number of times through the years.

The points you bring up about the weapon itself in a metaphysical sense is something that does come up with them in many cultures, and there were many superstitions concerning them during Medieval times also. The three dots have been an anomaly that seems to have drawn a number of ideas as seen in posts here.

While the number three is of course well known also in symbolism of many areas, with its association to the Holy Trinity significant to Christianity, I have been under the impression that three crosses signify Calvary and the Crucifixion. I am wondering if perhaps the three holes in this case, which seem to have one elevated, flanked by two others might mean the same on these sword tips. Execution swords seem to often have inscriptions and themes of devotional nature and for the redemption of the sinner, and rather the absolution of the executioner for carrying out this duty.

On one German example 17th century is inscribed;
"...when I raise this sword I wish the sinner everlasting life.
The Lords judge evil and I execute thier judgement".
"Torture and Punishment" publ. by
Royal Armouries, p.19

At the Crucifixion, the two criminals executed alongside Jesus, with one repenting, the other mocking him. Perhaps the significance of either turn might be the significance for Calvary's three at the end of the blade, and the resolution will be at the moment of truth.

There is of course a certain credence to the idea of lore that pertains to piercings and apertures in blades that followed beliefs that might seem strange to us today, such as the idea of dispelling evil from the tainted weapon. In these times there were superstitions that pieces of wood from the tortuous breaking wheel that killed a criminal had talismanic properties when added to weapons. It was once believed that holes placed in blades would allow air into wounds causing death, and other grim ideas abound in others.

Since most of these 'executioner swords' became in actuality bearing swords signifying the authority of life and death of the personage in power in various principalities or states, it would seem that much of the symbolism was vestigial. It seems hard to say what the holes original purpose was, but the noise making idea seems quite plausible from a pragmatic view.

Again thank you for writing here!! I hope you will share more on your weapons and tell us more on them. The research you have done is fascinating and give great perspective on these.

All the best,

Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote