Thread: Indian Pistols
View Single Post
Old 9th January 2017, 02:00 AM   #1
Paul Duffy

Default Indian Pistols

I have the pair of percussion pistols illustrated..They are 37cm overall,barrells 24cm, the lock is silver & engraved.The pistols are half stocked, no but cap,& a rib under the barrell also holds a wooden, brass tipped ramrod.
The percussion hammer seems to be based on the patent pillbox hammer made by Joseph Manton.On p241 of The Mantons Gunmakers, is a colour photo of a pair of Joseph Manton pelletlock pistols which are similar to these pistols.

The hammers on my pistols fire a percussion cap only,there is no provision for a pellet or pilllock action.

The barrell is decorated with ornate gold work & a long inscription, I assume in Urdu.

The stock is lavishly decorated in Indian or Ottoman style.At first I thought the decoration was hundreds of tiny brass pins & painting.However under the forestock the decoration seems to have rubbed off in a section, & there are no pin holes. I wonder whether the decoration was made in a sheet & then glued to the stock.
Around the lock, & on the reverse side flat, the areas are edged in bone.

I assume the pistols were made in India, & I would appreciate any comments especially on a translation of the barrell inscription & on the decoration on the stock.
I am attaching some photos.
Attached Images

Paul Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote