View Single Post
Old 4th June 2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Zifir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall

It would seem that the yataghan, typically carried through a sash, rather than in a mounted scabbard as worn with swords, was intended mostly for secondary use as in the melee or when firearms were spent and incoming forces overran the position. Though typically considered for dismounted use, it is known that certain yataghan influenced sabres were used by mounted auxiliary forces such as the Pandours after the mid 18th century. These were almost certainly used in virtually the same drawcut, slashing type action as most likely accorded to the yataghan, rather than any sword to sword combat implied by the term 'fencing'.
j
This question came to my mind when I read in one of the chronicles that janissaries were used to duel each other with yatagans in a place called 'hendek,' literally meaning 'ditch' in Istanbul. (actually, I suspect that was a part of the surviving Byzantine moat in the Galata district of Istanbul).

I can't say i am much knowledgable in the etymology of the term 'fencing', also in english language as you can see , but if we include fighting with sabers in the category fencing, can't we use the term 'fencing' for yatagans also?
Zifir is offline   Reply With Quote