View Single Post
Old 28th February 2005, 10:08 PM   #2
B.I

i would say it was persian, 19thC. later quajar period. the foral design is interesting and uncommon. the decoration seems chisselled, but heavily cleaned. it has the softer feeling of etching but is a little too deep, as if the hard lines have been over-cleaned. the nasal bar could possible be a replacemet. maybe still 19thC, but from a different helmet. the design is right, but the chisselling is light and not en suite. the camail has patterened brass links, interspersed with steel links. probably butted, as this type of helmet normally held.
the bowl is normally of one piece contruction, and relatively light (half the weight of a 17thC helmet). this donates a decorative use. they were made as wall hangings and bought brand new in the bazaars during the 19thC. this assessment is based on many i have seen, of the same form, and so am assuming this is the case with yours. i have a few of very similar form.
a nice piece and they look great mounted. commercial aspect depends solely on the quality of the chisselling and amount and quality of the goldwork, which vary from crude to absolutely stunning. just an opinion.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote