View Single Post
Old 17th July 2014, 08:07 AM   #174
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lander
Do men still deploy these daggers to resolve disputes? Or is that all in the past? Do you have any information about how these were/are used as a weapon? I read that with the Jambiya they'd strike between the clavicles and split the body cavity open in one blow.

Sounds decidedly painful... Salaams Blue Lander... So far as I know the dagger is more symbolic of the head of the family and is a national Icon. Pulling a blade on someone is totally alien but even the act of taking the blade out during a dispute is awarded with a prison sentence... It is simply not on.
As a weapon it was classed as a defensive one..and the weapon seems to originate way back in the past as a skinning item... skinning animals and cutting meat. I have seen a Khanjar used to kill animals for feasts ie ...goats cows and camels.
The central ridge in the blade lends itself to the downward strike I suppose although I have no evidence of it in a fight...Certainly the broad blade is a vicious shape wherever it gets inserted but as I say... Iconic thesedays and not pulled in anger.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 17th July 2014 at 11:30 AM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote