Thread: Moro helmet
View Single Post
Old 27th September 2014, 04:27 AM   #28
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

From "Oriental Armour", H. Russell Robinson, 1967, p.124:
"...closer imitation of Spanish armour was achieved in the Moro brass helmets which were frequently cast in sections and joined together by brazing. The burgonet type helmets had the correct hinged cheekpieces, although a little shorter than the European originals, and not joined under the wearers chin".

The overall appearance of this example seems to lean toward the burgonet form rather than the more publicized combed morion seen in illustrations of Spanish conquistadors. The morion had the raised brim on front and back, and typically did not have cheekpieces as far as I have known.

Robinson also notes that although Spanish officers in the 16th century wore the morions aboard the ships apparently and the Moros must have seen many of them, but they did not have as much appeal as the burgonets, which were also present.

Regarding the 'theatrical' comments, I would point out that in many cases these anachronistic forms of armour used in the tribal regalia in many instances may seem quite so, and in many cases may appear humorous so jestful suggestions certainly should be taken as intended.
I can recall cases of studying similarly 'anachronistic' armour being worn by warriors in Bornu and Sudan with mail and helmets which were sometimes adorned with tableware such as forks and spoons. Obviously these could be seen humorously as well, but in the perception of the warriors these were status oriented items of Europeans they had encountered and were worn signifying that.

Oliver, thank you so much for posting this example, as well as the fascinating other examples. I knew little on these and its great to learn more on them!
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote