View Single Post
Old 15th August 2022, 04:55 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
Yes, i was hesitating to enter, to say that i also saw (separate) dots; even one of them with a 'buttton' look ... so to say .
Well noted Fernando, and this is the case in point, perception.
While my initial reaction was that the mark, to me, resembled a horseshoe, It is hard to determine what the individual placing the mark intended. In reading through Gabus(1958) a marking which resembles the Greek letter omega (an arc with voluted ends) seems used widely in Tuareg context in decoration, and termed 'horseshoe'.

This recalls cases where the Tuareg, seeing the cross and orb marking as used on German blades, as a drum and sticks. This seems to have been seen as representative of a chief, or in terms of authority. As Ed has noted, in Funj parlance, this mark was used to mark property, so in essence similar as representing authority or 'ownership'.

In other cases, the European markings known a 'the doll' or 'fly' were seen by Tuaregs in accord, but in their parlance the fly was symbolic of a brave and skilled warrior (the leaping and evasive tactics in combat situation?).

While it was tempting to think of the horseshoe in the widely held symbolism in Europe and other of 'good luck', it is unclear what the Tuareg perception of the omega like mark or this dotted arc might be.Though we of course do not know, it does seem worthy of note and consideration to possibilities.
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote