View Single Post
Old 20th September 2012, 09:19 AM   #22
randallstorey

Thanks Jim, that's what I assumed the numbers indicated, and I'm fairly sure there is yet another very faint character or symbol preceding the numbers. Do we have any information on how many blades were produced per consignment? The kaskara in Stone's Glossary is also described as having a three digit number in cartouche as you put it. He thought that it indicated the Islamic year and that an AH was also stamped with the date, which supported his assertion that kaskaras often have medieval blades.

I've often wondered why he would make this assertion despite being so knowledgeable. Perhaps it was a current notion, along with the idea that medieval armaments could be purchased readily and cheaply up until the 1970s. I imagine upon inspection many of the latter would have been victorian reproductions which were handsome and were snatched up even though when they come to light now they are recognised as what they are. If so many medieval arms were kicking around a few decades ago, where did they come from and where are they now? I just don't believe that many survived.
randallstorey is offline   Reply With Quote