View Single Post
Old 14th April 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
dbhmgb

Default Bugis Riau Luk 5 Ujung Gunung

Hello all. I am new to the forum and actually to the keris as well. It has only been several months since the blade was introduced to me by a vendor at a market. He warned me that I would get hooked and he was right. I already own several kerises, but I find learning about them to be far more interesting. I have been reading all I can on the internet and in books. I have found many differing versions of its history stories associated with the blades mystical side. So, I am here to learn and to share.

So, to start, I want to share this keris that I just received this week. I am going to simply quote what the vendor wrote about the blade and some pictures I took. If you spot a difference from what you see and what is written, please, speak up. In the pictures you will see some bright spots on the blade. I oiled the blade the night before I took the pictures and I didn't notice the spots until after the pictures were taken.

Here is the description:
A keris from the southern Sumatran region of Bugis Riau Lingga. The handle is in the typical Bugis pistol grip (or kerdas form) and is made from kemuning wood. The top sheath is made from hard wood and the bottom stem is made from angsana wood and has a flaring bottom tip. A plain silver alloy ferrule or pendoko completes the fittings.

Very sturdy blade with 5 waves or luks and prominent base features or perabots typical of the region’s styles.

Pamor patterns are arranged in the mlumah technique with the base having a peak like formation called ujung gunung and an overall pamor wos utah.
The pamor ujung gunung is said to enhance the owner’s status while the pamor wos utah is said to enhance the owner’s material well being.

Late 19th century blade and hilt with mid 20th century sheath.
Here are some pictures:
Attached Images

dbhmgb is offline   Reply With Quote