Thread: Bendo
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2007, 07:13 AM   #19
Pangeran Datu

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
....... Bendho is a Javanese word and I do not know if it is found in Sundanese.

The implement you have shown pics of appears to be from Sunda, probably Bandung production.

I know that van Zonneveldt shows it as a "bendo", but he draws upon another source, so we cannot hold him responsible for the name.

It may be that in Sunda this implement is known as a "bendo", but if it is, it must not be confused with the bendho of Central Jawa.
G'day all,

Just passing and thought I'd buy into this.

The Sundanese, particularly from Parahyangan (most of West Java), would generally refer to the implement being discussed, as a 'bedog' which may be interchanged with the Malay/Indonesian word 'golok'. Bedog can be found in many shapes and sizes, depending on application/usage, from a stubby wide-bladed one (akin to a berang) to a long slender one (akin to a pedang and most commonly used implement in penca-silat). Traditionally, it was the chosen everyday implement of the common folk and would be as common in households as a knife. Being such a common everyday item, it was usually constructed of soft metal, with the handle and scabbard being of soft wood, such as 'albasia'. So, no Empu needed here Of course, like everything else, you always get fancier versions.

The word 'bendo' does exist in Basa (language) Sunda and refers to the stylised ikat/headgear, akin to the Javanese 'blangkon'.

Cheers.
Pangeran Datu is offline   Reply With Quote