View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008, 04:01 AM   #13
Valjhun

Thank you Jim for your kind words...

Actually I think it was made between 1580-1600, relatively early example of a schiavona, from the venetian arsenal, official type. I figured it out from books like "ubojite ojstrice". There is precisely one like thatone (but in much better condition) in the dodge palace museum in Venice, marked as the oldest in the collection (they have 6 of them)

Theese markings (pommel and guard), wich are hardly visible, are the markings of the venetian arsenal - I can't figure them out, but seems to represent san Marco or the venetian lion. I'm posting photos of the markings from the sword wich is at the dodges' museum (palazzo ducale). Theese markings are also located on the guard and pommel.

The blade has a genova(?) type mark.... Any comments on that, Jim?

18th century schiavonas tend to have a different type of basket, representing more a kind of net, wich is more complex and more baroquese... Posting an example...

I'm rather happy with it as a piece of history, an old true warrior, like you said, but I'm still trying to find a later one with artistically more complex guard, like the last photo... btw, sold for 8.500 euro at the san girogio auction house...
Attached Images

Last edited by Valjhun; 12th November 2008 at 04:30 AM.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote