View Single Post
Old 28th May 2005, 05:23 PM   #24
Rivkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlikhan
Rivkin,there are enormous number of nice silver scabbarded kindjals currently in Turkish market but all came after 1990. Before, kindjals were rare and sold for a few thousand dollars each, still being brought illegally from Soviets. I havent seen any quality sample originating from Turkey. Only very simple and quiet Turkified ones. So I think Cirkassians, Chechens etc. didnt continue their tribal arts in Turkey and they didnt in Balkans as well. Not strange?
By 1850 Circassians were pushed out of kindjal market by dagestan, so it's not a big surprise that circassian production of kindjals was insignificant. There were very few chechens among muhajars.

I've seen quite a lot kindjals that looked turkish to me - mostly with coralls in the hilt. However, I thought that kindjals like this one are also Turkish ?
http://www.buyit-sellit.com/image.ph...icture=59028-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlikhan
But still, I have a shashka,which has Ottoman tughra on each silver piece, and the scratches done by the Istanbul mint office to take sample and test its grade upon the producer's wish to gain customer trust. it must show, 1- this shashka was produced before 1850's, when most part of Caucassia was Ottoman soil or under their influence or 2- it was produced for or by local Caucassians here after they migrated to Turkey. Post occupation Caucassian arms carry Russian mint stamps instead, not?The fullers look like the ones made by more developed tools of late 19th-early 20th c to me, and I would like to see your opinions.
Very interesting sword. I'm not a shashka person, but I would try to make an opinion, but I need photographs: the hilt, koftgari on bith sides of the blade, niello on the scabbard.
Rivkin is offline   Reply With Quote