View Single Post
Old 19th May 2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbel
Hello Detlef,
I would actually think of the pieces you've shown as Blaan. That being said, I think it's important to recognize that the sword itself and the scabbard are two different things and often have very different origins. One might also add the hilt as a seperate consideration as well. Due to trade, battles, repairs, inter-marriage, etc. these three elements of any piece might take on a mix-match appearance. The Tboli, Blaan and Bagobo (more knowledgable collectors may also include the Kalagan,Tagakaolo and others) all interacted and still do. The Tboli and Blaan very closely, similarly the Blaan and Bagobo. Each have very distinct and identifiable elements to their weapons and scabbards, however each often carry a blend as well. I have relatively little knowledge of the blades themselves and certainly many of these were Moro in origin. The hilts and scabbards offer more clues to me and these old photos, taken and notated in situ can offer unique insights. I think we're all relatively confident when we see a 'true' Bagobo piece with its specific hilt, scabbard and blade design. A distinct Tboli hilt and scabbard is hard to miss as well. For me, the distinctness of the Blaan is found in the scabbard and the elegant yet simple hilt.

I continue to look forward to learning more from my own research but especially from those who read this board and who have much more knowledge and experience than I do.
I think Craig has summed up the issues faced with identifying Lumad swords, There has been a lot of mixing of styles, and in addition to the points Craig raises one really needs to look too at the style and quality of the brass fittings, especially on the hilt; the presence of typical beads on the scabbard (a frequent indicator of Bagobo work); and the nature and designs of fabrics used on the scabbards. In regard to the latter, I think the book From the Rainbows Varied Hue, edited by Roy Hamilton, is a good reference for identifying the ikat, etc. of Moro and Lumad groups.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote