View Single Post
Old 7th May 2020, 02:47 PM   #6
ConfederateCanuck

Thanks for your opinion. We have two opinions that match (British). I started looking online at British swords from the 1800s and I can definitely see the similarities.

The information from the Forum has already proved useful! Hopefully, we can get this identified...that would be really great. My friend has had this sword for 40 years and he never really was sure of what it was or how to even find out.

He also had a musket, which he was told was from the War of 1812 (the one in North America). Being far more knowledgeable about antique muskets than I am about swords (almost zero knowledge), I was able to almost instantly identify it as an Austrian 1842 Pattern Musket, which most definitely was NOT used in 1812. These items had been passed down several generations through his family, but not the correct facts it seems.

By the way, I am a regular contributor on an American Civil War Forum (though I am a Canadian), so if anyone has questions about weapons from that conflict, message me and I will do my best to give/get you answers.
ConfederateCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote