View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 06:58 PM   #1
ConfederateCanuck

Default What is this sword? Possibly British 1800s ...

Hi. I am new to this Forum and am hoping to help my friend identify a sword that he was told was an Austrian Infantry sabre from the mid-1800s.

After trying to do my own online searches, I have been unable to figure out what this sword actually is. From what I have seen online, I get the sense that it is European (Austrian, German, French???) and is likely from the mid-to-late 1800s, possibly into the early 1900s, but I am new to the world of swords (I did recently buy an 1860 Cavalry Sabre from the American Civil War, so I guess I have finally entered into world of sword collecting).

Due to COVID, I have not been able to see my friend’s sword in person. He showed it to me via a video chat, and the pictures I am about to display are screenshots from that video. So, the quality of the pictures aren’t the greatest, but I can get better pictures later if needed.

The guard of the sword has a distinctive shape, which I hope will be enough for you to pinpoint which model of sword this is. There are no markings anywhere on the blade or the scabbard, other than a “181” stamped on the pommel and the tip of the scabbard. I don’t have a good picture of the scabbard, but it is brass and black leather (brass at the hilt, more brass about 10-15 cm further below, plus brass at the tip).

If you need any other information, please ask and I’ll get you answers. As a member of other Forums, I know how helpful everyone can be….so I will thank you in advance for all your help!

Again, apologies for the sub-standard pictures!
Attached Images

ConfederateCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote