View Single Post
Old 15th November 2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Andi

Cool: Today I have recevied the answer from Dithmarscher Landesmuseum which sounds a bit curious:

Quote:
Sehr geehrter Herr ...,
Da haben Sie uns in der Tat an einem wunden Punkt erwischt. Wir wissen nämlich nur sehr wenig über diese Rohre. Sie tragen die Inventarnummern 981-983. Sieht man in das entsprechende Inventarbuch und die älteste Museumsakte, stellt man fest, daß sie bereits im Frühsommer 1874 dem Museum (gegründet 1872) übergeben wurden, und zwar vom Kirchenvorstand der Gemeinde Büsum. Weiterhin ist dort angegeben, daß diese Waffen angeblich nach der Schlacht bei Hemmingstedt gefunden wurden und später als Uhrgewichte in der Büsumer Kirche dienten. Die Schlacht bei Hemmingstedt fand 1500 statt. Der genaue Standort der Schanze, an der die Dithmarscher das feindliche Invasionsheer abwerten, wie auch der des Schlachtfeldes ist nach wie vor unklar, er liegt knapp südlich von Hemmingstedt, wobei schon umstritten ist ob südöstlich oder, so die häufigere Annahme, südwestlich. Den detailliertesten Überblick zur Schlacht, auch zur Bewaffnung, bietet nach wie vor: Walther Lammers: Die Schlacht bei Hemmingstedt, Heide, 1953 (1.Aufl.) bzw. 1982 (2. Aufl.). Die Uhr für die Büsumer Kirche ist 1502 angeschafft worden. Die Länge der zwei Feldschlangen beträgt 68cm. Über ihr Gewicht ist mir nichts bekannt. Ich hoffe, daß Sie mit diesen wenigen Informationen etwas anfangen können und verbleibe
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
K.S.

Dear ...,
Here you have caught us in a sore spot. Because we know very little about these pipes. Their inventory numbers are 981-983. Looking in the corresponding inventory book and the oldest museums records, it is found that they were already in the musuem since early summer of 1874 (founded in 1872). They were passed from the parish council of the municipality Büsum. Furthermore it is specified that these weapons were allegedly found after the battle of Hemmingstedt and later served as clock weights at the Büsum church. The battle of Hemmingstedt took place in 1500. The exact location of the earthwork where the Dithmarscher devalue the foreign invasion army, as well as the battlefield is still unclear, it is just south of Hemmingstedt, which already is controversial whether or southeast, the frequent assumption southwest. The most detailed overview of the battle, and for armament, still provides: Walther Lammers: Die Schlacht bei Hemmingstedt, Heide, 1953 (1. Edition) respectively 1982 (2. Edition). The clock for the Büsum church was purchased 1502. The length of the two field barrels is 68cm. About their weight I know nothing.
I hope that you can work with this little information and remain

I hope I will be able to visit the museum again to take more preciese measurements.

Now I wonder if the barrels were found in such a bad condition that a reactivation as weapon was not possible or economoic. Especially shortly after a severe war, where you may expect a reaction from the defeated party the Danish King John I. Or maybe the barrels were been taken as a trophy and incorporated into the church.

http://www.landesmuseum-dithmarschen.de
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote