View Single Post
Old 15th July 2014, 09:16 AM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
There seems to be some confusion creeping in here.
In this thread http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18700 you are saying that the UUUUUU is an indicator of being from Al Ahsa. Now you are saying that it is from Asir. The two regions are many miles part, and indeed are on opposite sides of Saudi Arabia!
I have no doubt that there are similarities between the two, but perhaps you could, for the benefit of those us who are still learning, explain how you have arrived at this conclusion.

Good point ...I think my #18 of that reference indicates Asir... Abha... since the flower tribe weapons all have it. I am not so sure about the al Ahsa oasis. Frankly they are hugely difficult regions to penetrate...and what we have is by sheer hard plugging at it...

It occurs to me that the Flower tribe weapon is copied from the Royal Omani Khanjar whilst the Al Ahsa is copied from the Muscat Khanjar...which as you know led me quite a dance as the cornerstone Omani reference was entirely wrong in that regard... and the other reference so prestigious in all other respects was Omanisilver dot com is very badly wrong....and there are apparently other references which are incorrect.

Abha identity marks.
As well as the UUUUUUU (Which occasionally looks like OOOOOOO)The other marker decoration on the Abha is a floral decoration to the Quba and the flower motif on the reverse as well as an arabic inscription(maker/owner) either on the backplate above the belt or on the back of the Quba...(crown)There are many that appear to have criss coss wiring below the belt, however, to me the big give away is the highly angled scabbard turn.

I dont think enough examples exist from the al Ahsa Oasis quite yet to draw conclusions though I did stumble in and give it a shot...The major differences appear to be hilt related;more examples please...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote