Thread: Hand Axe Help
View Single Post
Old 20th November 2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Shamal
Salam,

Hmmm... Well there are 3 seperate panels. 1 is a silver patterned panel on the back and then the other 2 seperate side panels look to be brass patterned. The work is quite detailed and has a nice aging patina.

Salaams Al Shamal ~ Interesting...Looks to me like someone has fitted the axehead up with a shaft that previously belonged on a hammer or perhaps a shovel even...I have looked at the decorated shaft but the only bell that rings is ... "I reckon the decorated strip with the swirls of what looks like wave or peacock feathers is in fact off some jewellery item" .. Perhaps it is a straightened out bangle? I think the same about the brass decoration. The axehead looks meaningful but I think there is artistic licence on the shaft...If its from the Mussandam its probably been played with ... but its an interesting item... got any more axes? A friend of mine up there has a couple of Mussandam Jers axes which are watered steel... When I get a picture I will publish here. There is also a brilliant Mussandam axes collection at Al Ain Museum.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote