View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 04:10 PM   #55
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantia
I can see the possibility of Eastern European, but I'm struggling to see them as mere 'utility' axes.
My reasoning:
The shape of the cutting edge and narrowness of the blade doesn't make for good kindling splitting.
The smaller of the two doesn't even have a cutting edge thats parallel to the shaft (see pic below)
Despite the simplicity of the punched decoration, these are quite an elaborate piece of metalworking, far more than I would expect from a ulitity piece.

I don't know, perhaps I just hope that you are wrong on that and they are 'battle axes'.

Best
Gene
Salaams, I thought I would start with a solid reference on Maces, axes and staff weapons therefor I refer you to Islamic Arms by Anthony North; page 40 - 45.

With reference to herders weapons only today I saw on the BBC an African herder in Sudan sitting astride his donkey with his cattle herd. He was holding an axe. The Mussandam axe carrried by Shihuh is a herder weapon useful as a walking stick or against snakes... and used in the human defence it is lethal in the strike to head or other targets. There is a bigger version which will have been the big brother for serious fighting.
The weapon appears to be originally a Persian early weapon from the Luristan area. The Shihuh are a fascinating tribe with no written language indeed they seem to be one of the lost tribal groupings though said to have Persian roots. Their language is unrelated to Arabic yet they are settled in the Mussandam region at the gateway to the Gulf astride Oman and the UAE. Tribal tectonic plate movement is a hugely complex issue and it is outside my scope to suppose a link with Indian, Hungarian or other European tributaries of tribal drift and axe usage or influence except to state that "as a crucible of civilisation Persian Luristan several thousand years ago may have had a hand in it all" !

Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

PS PHOTO ...SHIHUH WITH AXE
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 22nd May 2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: additional pictures
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote