View Single Post
Old 14th December 2007, 04:47 PM   #25
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
David that is very helpful.
I just have the feeling that there is a certain lack of understanding about the the source, value and quality of the materials involved. The difficulties they presented I think we do not understand. It is clear to see the sword is not made from the finest trade steel.
To look at working this valuable material as if it were common place and easily affordable is blinding us to the skill and determination needed to create the sword. It is easy today to make swords when you can buy very good steel to work and play with. If you have a bad batch of steel "unlikely" you would just send it back. I would suggest the sword in question was a struggle to make presentable to the client. You have to admit there are no signs of heat distress.

The fellow that made this probably only had a rag covering his privates. Worked on his haunches without boots or gloves and swore like a trooper at the boys he had helping as it was becoming harder and harder to finish.

Hi Tim,
I really did not want to labour the point. You have acquired an interesting sword Which I had 'dismissed' as possibly 'Tebu' or neighbouring regions and I feel that unfortunately the 'weld' has taken up more of this thread that it should. I would prefer to talk about the sword and the swords social and historical context.

Intriqued by the possibillity of forging techniques used in Africa that were not known, as you seemed to have suggested.

I did a little research, sorry Tim but the Mandara region has been involved in Iron smelting and 'smithing' for centuries. The skill of the metal workers was well known.

"...... Iron is found in abundance in all the Mandara hills. All the houses, or huts, at Mandara hare outer doors to the court, which are made of pieces of wood, hasped together with iron. They make hinges, small bars, and a sort of hoe, used to weed the corn, and send them for sale to the Bornou towns ...."

A System of Geography, Popular and Scientific: Or A Physical, Political, and ...
By James Bell Published 1832

Early Iron Age sites (2,600-1,900 BC)

In west and central Africa, iron working developed in the
Mandara Mountains, on the borders of Nigeria and the
Cameroon, and in the area around Yaoundé in the south of
Cameroon around 2,600 BC.

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:h...nk&cd=49&gl=uk

I also believe that the sword was most likely made as a functional weapon. During the 'slavery' period ....other tribes commonly raided the Mandara hill areas to capture slaves and take other commodities. Weapons to protect themselves is mention in a number of resources.

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote