View Single Post
Old 14th December 2007, 03:13 PM   #24
Jeff Pringle

Quote:
In my opinion it was done at the time of and in the forging of the blade. My reasons are-

The lack of any burn at the site, bluing or straw discolouration .
Finally and not wanting to be rude to anyone. Perhaps the work is skilled and delicate beyond the average metalworker particularly when they are really only used to working in a western environment with plentiful western materials.
Would such a large later added weld not affect the temper? The temper is even through the blade.
Just more FYI, apologies for any annoyance

The discoloration around weld zones is an oxide layer on the surface of the metal. It is measured in angstroms, usually several hundred to a few thousand. Wavelengths of light are also measured in angstroms, they are used for very tiny things. The discoloration can be removed from steel by rubbing with dirt (the traditional method used throughout history, around the world) and it does not take long, or affect the surface of the steel to any significant degree.

Skilled forgewelds (and arcwelds, for that matter) even in very primitive cultures can only be detected by polishing and etching the surface, or by x-ray.

Temper would be affected by a later weld, but how did you test your blade to determine the uniformity of the temper?

Quote:
I just have the feeling that there is a certain lack of understanding about the the source, value and quality of the materials involved. The difficulties they presented I think we do not understand.
If there is anything I can do to help, let me know. Since I smelt metal from ore in a small furnace not too far removed from the traditional small iron smelting furnaces used around the world (electric blower instead of bellows as a nod to the modern conveniences ), I could go on for hours about how valuable that hard-won steel is, compared to store-bought stuff that comes in convenient ready-to-forge sizes and all.
Jeff Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote