View Single Post
Old 12th December 2007, 11:25 PM   #16
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Tim,
Thank you so much for displaying the reference which shows this weapon is indeed Mandala, which reference is it?
It's funny, I've always added references and page numbers etc. in my posts as a matter of habit, as well as very academic colleagues who emphasized the importance of adding such supporting information. Working without my resources at hand I rely very much on past posted material in the archives, and the few resources I typically have with me. In any case this was good exercise in trying to identify this sword, and I appreciate this reference now added to my notes.

The common goal I share with the staff and many of the members here is virtually building a resource network that we can all share in researching and learning about these weapons. In the time I spent reviewing posts to try to confirm the identification of this sword, I must say your contributions have been key to the core of knowledge here on African weapons, along with of course Freddy, Lew and many of the others who have added vital observations.

Now that I know this weapon is from Mandala, I also now see how such a long weapon was worn (very nicely shown ! and please thank your wife for her kind assistance).

Nicely done Tim!
All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote