View Single Post
Old 12th December 2007, 09:50 PM   #14
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
Also arc welding would not fit the age of the handle. I have never seen arc welding not burn the surrounding area. Arc welding became widely used in the 1920s so I doubt available in the backwoods of Africa, possibly Oxyacetylene in cities. The weld is not all scabby like the flash pictures make out.

Hi Tim
I was thinking more along the lines that... if welded it was much later than when forged, (later damage repair?)

A forge weld would only require (in this instance) two pieces of steel/iron (the 2 halves of the blade), AFAIK the correct heat, flux and hammering would create an almost seamless joint. The join in your pictures (the 'raised' seam) suggests that a third 'piece' of steel/iron was added ie from an arc welding rod or, if gas welded, some 'donor' steel/iron (for instance the 'coat hanger wire' suggested by Robert)

With my very basic knowledge of the forging process, I thought that...

If the blade had been damaged / broken then to facillitate a forge weld the handle would have been removed. The two halves (of the blade) would have then been heated to a high temperature and cooled very slowly (to normalise and relieve stresses within the metal structure) this would remove the temper and 'hardness'. Then the two halves would have been forged welded (heat/hammer work), and once done, shaped. It is likely that the whole blade would again be heated to a high temperature and very slowly cooled ....to again remove stresses in the metal's structure (sometimes done several times). Finally the whole blade would heated to the correct heat/colour and quenched to give the blade its final hardness/temper.

Any how, whether I'm right or wrong.... it is still a good piece. Showing how it was worn brings the 'sword to life'.

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote