View Single Post
Old 14th September 2013, 05:50 PM   #110
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwordsAntiqueWeapons
Hello.

No more than yourself using the drawing as supporting documentation for the sword being a dance sword and carried by guards....makes no sense

I must add, hence the personal invitation to attend a visit, that nothing is being taken at face value but as detailed examination of what I have here and others handled...the only hoodwinking going on is the absolute belief they do not exisit from antiquity

I and others I know have failed to be convinced with such little concrete evidence being bought to the table and resources out side of your country only now being looked in to but from afar. I do not need to travel, I have seen the rubbish from the souks and yourself being asked, have not yet bought a creadible dressed up souk sword to look like one from the past, because there are so many things they can not do to make this happen to support your claims.

I can't fault your passion and faith but the subject should have been explored a lot more and with concrete evidience after examing a 100 or more swords in and out side of your country before claiming absolutely what you do.

Peace brother

Gavin

Salaams SwordsAntiqueWeapons, In 1744 the new (and current) Dynasty required that a sword be carried by all able bodied men with which to salute in march past and in pageants the countries ruler. This sword was to carry with it the Terrs Shield. It was to be the sword used in the Funoon and mimic fighting displays as well as other traditions and displayed at civic meetings and weddings. Based on the Old Omani Battle Sword it had a round tip and in honour of the forefathers was to be razor sharp and two edged. The hilt; the Omani Long Hilt. Notwithstanding these attributes it had to be flexible; bending easily from the tip through 90 degrees and returning immediately to straight.

Since then some western visitors recorded this weapon as a real war sword. Geary, Wellstead, Frazer and others commented on the weapons apparent ability and in the hands of such excellent swordsmen the item could easily chop a man in half etc etc. The notion became concretized as fact when, actually, it was only a dancing sword. (It still has an important place in Omani Traditions and many are handed down Heirlooms of some value.) To compound the issue it is used in mimic fighting in the Funoon; The unwritten, passed down, Omani Traditions which soldiers and people have performed throughout history from the beginnings of Ibathi Islam here.

I'm not sure that examining blades outside Oman makes any difference.. I have done locally in the UAE.. if that qualifies ? but since I am here, in Oman, researching on the ground this national sword in the country of its birth...I think I am properly positioned. I have identified the route of Red Sea Blades spuriously masquerading as Omani Swords, thus, I know the workshops ~ something I would be blissfully unaware of as an outsider. It looks like the game is up on these imposters but I can assure you that if the slightest scrap of evidence appears in support of your idea I will post it immediately.

The 1841 drawing of Omani Tribal soldiers Guards of the Imam of Muscat.
Although this is just a drawing I believe it is very accurate. They would have used the sword daily as they came into contact with dignitaries and the Ruling Family all the time... Imam/Sultan meetings would have been very regular. What we cannot see is other weapons like spears and daggers. It is only a sketch but underlines the straight sword as being carried by this type of Royal/Imam Guard group. It shows that the basic straight sword scabbard and Terrs have not changed.

You have confused the introduction of a straight blade, non flexible, post 1970 from Europe, Ethiopia, Yemen and changed in Mutrah, mixed with an Omani Long Hilt and Scabbard and made to look Omani. On my next trip to Mutrah I will shoot some other examples of such weapons and hopefully the maker can show me an album of weapons he has sold under this guise...but I doubt it. There are, however, usually a few in his store and others. I believe the number of such mixes runs to the thousands(from one store alone!) since they have been churning them out for over 40 years.. Even if they only sold 5 a week it looks like about 2,500 have entered the world markets...held in estates...collections...looking very real but ...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 14th September 2013 at 06:03 PM.