View Single Post
Old 11th September 2013, 07:14 PM   #103
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Salaams all Note to Forum..

I have just read an interesting article from J E Peterson ...see http://www.jepeterson.net/.../Oman_D...ociety_Norther... in which he expertly describes the quite diverse population in Muscat and perhaps points to sword manufacturing in the city..

Meanwhile here is an interesting couple of pictures showing two groups...I sketch of soldiers in 1840 in Muscat with weapons and a photograpg by Wilfred Thesiger in 1950 of Bin Gabaisha bin Kabina. I met the son of Bin Gabaisha the other day and he reports that his father is doing very well and still buying and selling camels!

The reason for including both pictures is to illustrate the similarity in the physique and hair of the two diverse ages... and to prove the warlike worthiness of both and thus to confirm the artist (Colm) in his portrayal of the men as accurate. It is known that Bin Gabaisha and Kabina were probably the fiercest bedu on the circuit more than 60 years ago and were true mercenaries, guides and friends to Thesiger.

What is significant about the sketch is ...straight dancing swords.. pushing the envelope for known swords of such description as far as 1840 and toward the benchmark date of 1744. It also illustrates the sword as unchanged.

These are Omani guard soldiers and carry the main weapon the abu futtila. So why do they have straight swords in their possession. The casual eye of the onlooker/artist would probably consider these as weapons but they are not. Like any soldier / officer today in the West there are those that are issued or own their own swords but carried only for the traditional parade ... for marching past the ruler / dignitary/ commander and for parade ground duties. When I say soldier I mean mounted cavalry ...although for infantry in the west the officers and certain high ranking senior NCO's also carry swords on parade... for the exact same reasons. Thus it was in 1840 and before, that Omani guards carried these swords since they would often be required to draw them in praise for the ruler and for pageantry duty.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Attached Images